Joseph Barker: Regular exams are very important. That's how we know what the condition of your mouth is at that moment. We do a full series of X-rays. We want to be able to look at the bone. We want to be able to look at the supporting tissue for the teeth. We want to look at the soft tissue. We measure the gums. We measure the bone. We also want to check that soft tissue for oral cancer. It's pretty rare, but nonetheless, it's still vitally important. Like I said, I've only diagnosed it six times in my career, but three of them were on my dad. It's one thing if you know somebody, but when you're kin to somebody, it's totally different. Routine exams are vital. In my dad's case, those things, I was seeing him every three months. Two of them were six months apart. They were not there. I had already had the surgery done for him, and it would come back, so exams, never take that for granted.
Of all of our general dentistry services, dental cleanings and exams in Searcy are the most important. During cleanings, we remove sticky plaque and the bacteria it contains from your teeth. Even if you brush regularly at home, it’s easy to miss plaque that is tough to reach with a toothbrush. That plaque turns into an even more damaging substance called tartar that can cause cavities and gum disease.
In addition to cleaning teeth, during an exam we will:
- Look for signs of potentially serious conditions like oral cancer
- Suggest dietary changes that can improve your oral health and your overall health
- Share oral hygiene best practices with you
- Check your teeth for signs of grinding or other damaging behavior
- Answer all your questions and address all your concerns
We recommend visiting us every six months for a teeth cleaning and dental exam. If you’re due for an exam, call us today at 501-299-9117.
Preventive Dentistry Helps Keep Teeth Cavity-Free
While we offer treatments such as tooth fillings to repair cavities and keep them from getting worse, it’s less complicated and costly to keep your teeth cavity-free. We offer painless and inexpensive treatments that help prevent cavities:
- Dental Sealants – It’s quick and easy to apply these thin layers of plastic to your back teeth and other areas that are hard to reach with a toothbrush. They help keep bacteria from getting into the grooves and ridges in your teeth.
- Fluoride Treatments – Fluoride makes your tooth enamel stronger, so your teeth are more resistant to decay. Fluoride can even help reverse the effects of very small cavities!
Stay Comfortable During Your Dental Exams
Since you’ll see us more often for dental exams and cleanings than for any other service, we do our best to ensure your comfort during these services. Our rooms offer total privacy, so neither you nor our team will get distracted during your time with us. We also offer:
- A beverage station where you can enjoy a refreshment
- Blankets to warm you up if you’re chilly in our chair
- TVs to catch up on your favorite programs while we work
- Digital X-rays and other patient-friendly technology to keep your treatment fast and hassle-free
For dental cleanings and exams in Searcy, call 501-299-9117 today.